Sunday, March 25, 2007

Scriptures & Questions for Palm/Passion Sunday

Here are the scripture readings for this upcoming Sunday.

Suggestion: Print this and read a different passage each day and think about it
(some questions are offered to help stimulate your reflection).

You'll find your experience of worship on Sunday will be intensified.

If you would like to comment on these scriptures or have some on-line conversation about them, please go to sundayscriptures@blogspot.com and click the "comments" button at the bottom.

(St. Paul's uses the Episcopal Revised Common Lectionary readings which are a little different from the Prayer Book Lections. The recent General Convention authorized the RCL as our official lectionary.)

April 1, 2007
Palm/Passion Sunday, Year C
Episcopal Revised Common Lectionary

The Collect
Almighty and everliving God, in your tender love for the
human race you sent your Son our Savior Jesus Christ to
take upon him our nature, and to suffer death upon the cross,
giving us the example of his great humility: Mercifully grant
that we may walk in the way of his suffering, and also share
in his resurrection; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives
and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever
and ever. Amen.


The Scriptures

Liturgy Of The Palms:
Luke 19:28-40

Liturgy Of The Passion:
Isaiah 50:4-9a
Psalm 31:9-16
Philippians 2:5-11
Luke 23:1-49


Liturgy of the Palms
Luke 19:28-40
After he had said this, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem.
When he had come near Bethphage and Bethany, at the place
called the Mount of Olives, he sent two of the disciples, saying,
"Go into the village ahead of you, and as you enter it you will
find tied there a colt that has never been ridden. Untie it and bring
it here. If anyone asks you, 'Why are you untying it?' just say
this, 'The Lord needs it.'" So those who were sent departed and
found it as he had told them. As they were untying the colt, its
owners asked them, "Why are you untying the colt?" They said,
"The Lord needs it." Then they brought it to Jesus; and after
throwing their cloaks on the colt, they set Jesus on it. As he
rode along, people kept spreading their cloaks on the road. As he
was now approaching the path down from the Mount of Olives, the
whole multitude of the disciples began to praise God joyfully
with a loud voice for all the deeds of power that they had seen,
saying, "Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!
Peace in heaven, and glory in the highest heaven!" Some of the
Pharisees in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, order your
disciples to stop." He answered, "I tell you, if these were
silent, the stones would shout out."
_________________________

Jesus enters Jerusalem in a way that reminds people of the Messianic prophecies of the Hebrew scriptures. Imagine their hopes. The long-awaited Messiah who would bring redemption to God's people and liberation from oppression. What expectations would Jesus fulfill? What expectations would Jesus not fulfill?
_______________________________________________________

Liturgy of the Passion
Isaiah 50:4-9a
The Lord God has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may
know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning
he wakens-- wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught. The
Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not
turn backward. I gave my back to those who struck me, and my
cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face
from insult and spitting.
The Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced;
therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not
be put to shame; he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend
with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries?
Let them confront me. It is the Lord God who helps me; who
will declare me guilty?
_________________________

When have you known yourself to be challenged or shamed and your only recourse was to trust in God?
_______________________________________________________

Psalm 31:9-16
9 Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; *
my eye is consumed with sorrow,
and also my throat and my belly.
10 For my life is wasted with grief,
and my years with sighing; *
my strength fails me because of affliction,
and my bones are consumed.
11 I have become a reproach to all my enemies and even to my neighbors,
a dismay to those of my acquaintance; *
when they see me in the street they avoid me.
12 I am forgotten like a dead man, out of mind; *
I am as useless as a broken pot.
13 For I have heard the whispering of the crowd;
fear is all around; *
they put their heads together against me;
they plot to take my life.
14 But as for me, I have trusted in you, O Lord. *
I have said, "You are my God.
15 My times are in your hand; *
rescue me from the hand of my enemies,
and from those who persecute me.
16 Make your face to shine upon your servant, *
and in your loving-kindness save me."
______________________

When have you prayed to God in desperation?
_____________________________________________________

Philippians 2:5-11
Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, who, though
he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as
something to be exploited, but emptied himself, taking the form
of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in
human form, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point
of death-- even death on a cross.
Therefore God also highly exalted him and gave him the name
that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee
should bend, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every
tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of
God the Father.
_________________________

How easy or difficult is it for you to live and serve humbly?
______________________________________________________



Luke 23:1-49
Then the assembly rose as a body and brought Jesus before Pilate.
They began to accuse him, saying, "We found this man perverting
our nation, forbidding us to pay taxes to the emperor, and saying
that he himself is the Messiah, a king." Then Pilate asked him,
"Are you the king of the Jews?" He answered, "You say so." Then
Pilate said to the chief priests and the crowds, "I find no basis
for an accusation against this man." But they were insistent and
said, "He stirs up the people by teaching throughout all Judea,
from Galilee where he began even to this place."
When Pilate heard this, he asked whether the man was a
Galilean. And when he learned that he was under Herod's
jurisdiction, he sent him off to Herod, who was himself in
Jerusalem at that time. When Herod saw Jesus, he was very glad,
for he had been wanting to see him for a long time, because he
had heard about him and was hoping to see him perform some
sign. He questioned him at some length, but Jesus gave him no
answer. The chief priests and the scribes stood by, vehemently
accusing him. Even Herod with his soldiers treated him with
contempt and mocked him; then he put an elegant robe on him,
and sent him back to Pilate. That same day Herod and Pilate
became friends with each other; before this they had been enemies.
Pilate then called together the chief priests, the leaders, and
the people, and said to them, "You brought me this man as one
who was perverting the people; and here I have examined him in
your presence and have not found this man guilty of any of your
charges against him. Neither has Herod, for he sent him back to us.
Indeed, he has done nothing to deserve death. I will therefore have
him flogged and release him."
Then they all shouted out together, "Away with this fellow!
Release Barabbas for us!" (This was a man who had been put in
prison for an insurrection that had taken place in the city, and for
murder.) Pilate, wanting to release Jesus, addressed them again;
but they kept shouting, "Crucify, crucify him!" A third time he
said to them, "Why, what evil has he done? I have found in him no
ground for the sentence of death; I will therefore have him
flogged and then release him." But they kept urgently demanding
with loud shouts that he should be crucified; and their voices
prevailed. So Pilate gave his verdict that their demand should be
granted. He released the man they asked for, the one who had been
put in prison for insurrection and murder, and he handed Jesus
over as they wished.
As they led him away, they seized a man, Simon of Cyrene,
who was coming from the country, and they laid the cross on him,
and made him carry it behind Jesus. A great number of the people
followed him, and among them were women who were beating
their breasts and wailing for him. But Jesus turned to them and
said, "Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me, but weep for
yourselves and for your children. For the days are surely coming
when they will say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that
never bore, and the breasts that never nursed.' Then they will
begin to say to the mountains, 'Fall on us'; and to the hills, 'Cover
us.' For if they do this when the wood is green, what will happen
when it is dry?"
Two others also, who were criminals, were led away to be put
to death with him. When they came to the place that is called
The Skull, they crucified Jesus there with the criminals, one on his
right and one on his left. Then Jesus said, "Father, forgive them;
for they do not know what they are doing." And they cast lots to
divide his clothing. And the people stood by, watching; but the
leaders scoffed at him, saying, "He saved others; let him save
himself if he is the Messiah of God, his chosen one!" The soldiers
also mocked him, coming up and offering him sour wine, and
saying, "If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!" There was
also an inscription over him, "This is the King of the Jews."
One of the criminals who were hanged there kept deriding him
and saying, "Are you not the Messiah? Save yourself and us!" But
the other rebuked him, saying, "Do you not fear God, since you are
under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed have
been condemned justly, for we are getting what we deserve for our
deeds, but this man has done nothing wrong." Then he said,
"Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." He replied,
"Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise."
It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land
until three in the afternoon, while the sun's light failed; and the
curtain of the temple was torn in two. Then Jesus, crying with a
loud voice, said, "Father, into your hands I commend my spirit."
Having said this, he breathed his last. When the centurion saw
what had taken place, he praised God and said, "Certainly this
man was innocent." And when all the crowds who had gathered there
for this spectacle saw what had taken place, they returned home,
beating their breasts. But all his acquaintances, including the
women who had followed him from Galilee, stood at a distance,
watching these things.
_________________________

What catches your attention in this reading of the Passion?
Why?
___________________________________________________________

To subscribe or unsubscribe to this email list,
go to our Subscriptions page -- http://www.stpaulsfay.org/id137.html and follow the instructions.

On most weekdays I send a Morning Reflection to this same list, offering a thought about the readings from the Daily Office.

Lowell

The Rev. Lowell Grisham
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Fayetteville, AR

The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church
is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

Our Rule of Life:
We aspire to...
worship weekly
pray daily
learn constantly
serve joyfully
live generously.

Check our website: www.stpaulsfay.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home