Monday, July 25, 2011

Scriptures and Reflecton Questions for Sunday, July 31

Scriptures and Reflection Questions
Seventh Sunday after Pentecost;
Proper 13, Year A, Track 1
July 31, 2011
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Collect
Let your continual mercy, O Lord, cleanse and defend your Church; and, because it
cannot continue in safety without your help, protect and govern it always by your
goodness; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy
Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Episcopal Revised Common Lectionary
Year A
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to use this page:

Print this and read a different passage each day and think about it.  Some questions
are offered to help stimulate your reflection.  You'll find your experience of worship
on Sunday will be intensified.

For a method to read and pray with the scriptures you might try to use the ancient
practice of Lectio Divina (Divine Reading).  We've written some instructions on
how to use Lectio with the Sunday Scriptures at the following link:
www.stpaulsfay.org/id272.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Lessons

Genesis 32:22-31
Psalm 17: 1-7, 16
Romans 9:1-5
Matthew 14:13-2
1

_____________________________________________

Genesis 32:22-31


The same night Jacob got up and took his two wives, his two maids, and his eleven
children, and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. He took them and sent them across
the stream, and likewise everything that he had. Jacob was left alone; and a man
 wrestled with him until daybreak. When the man saw that he did not prevail against
Jacob, he struck him on the hip socket; and Jacob's hip was put out of joint as
he wrestled with him. Then he said, "Let me go, for the day is breaking." But Jacob
said, "I will not let you go, unless you bless me." So he said to him, "What is
your name?" And he said, "Jacob." Then the man said, "You shall no longer be called
Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with humans, and have prevailed."
Then Jacob asked him, "Please tell me your name." But he said, "Why is it that you
ask my name?" And there he blessed him. So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying,
"For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life is preserved." The sun rose upon
him as he passed Penuel, limping because of his hip.

__________

Because of envy and conflict, Jacob has fled Laban's house under a suspicious "peace."
 Now he returns home to meet his brother Esau, who swore to kill Jacob for past
wrongs.  It may be that Esau will kill him and destroy his family and belongings.

The night before he is to meet Esau, Jacob struggles -- wrestles with God -- in
the darkness.  When have you wrestled in the darkness?  What happened?

What does Jacob's story teach you?


_____________________________________________

Psalm 17:1-7,16

Hear my plea of innocence, O God; give heed to my cry; *
     listen to my prayer, which does not come from lying lips.

Let my vindication come forth from your presence; *
     let your eyes be fixed on justice.

Weigh my heart, summon me by night, *
     melt me down; you will find no impurity in me.

I give no offense with my mouth as others do; *
     I have heeded the words of your lips.

My footsteps hold fast to the ways of your law; *
     in your paths my feet shall not stumble.

I call upon you, O God, for you will answer me; *
     incline your ear to me and hear my words.

Show me your marvelous loving-kindness, *
     O Savior of those who take refuge at your right hand
from those who rise up against them.

But at my vindication I shall see your face; *
     when I awake, I shall be satisfied, beholding your likeness.

                                  The Saint Helena Psalter
___________

Have you ever professed your innocence before God and asked for vindication?
If so, what happened?

_____________________________________________

Romans 9:1-5

I am speaking the truth in Christ -- I am not lying; my conscience confirms it by
the Holy Spirit -- I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I
could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my
own people, my kindred according to the flesh. They are Israelites, and to them
belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship,
and the promises; to them belong the patriarchs, and from them, according to the
 flesh, comes the Messiah, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.

____________

Paul speaks of his anguish for his Jewish relatives who oppose and persecute him
 and the cause of Christ.  He is willing to be accursed for their sake.

How might you adopt Paul's attitude toward someone or some group that you feel conflict
with?

________________________________________

Matthew 14:13-21

Jesus withdrew in a boat to a deserted place by himself. But when the crowds heard
it, they followed him on foot from the towns. When he went ashore, he saw a great
crowd; and he had compassion for them and cured their sick. When it was evening,
 the disciples came to him and said, "This is a deserted place, and the hour is
now late; send the crowds away so that they may go into the villages and buy food
for themselves." Jesus said to them, "They need not go away; you give them something
to eat." They replied, "We have nothing here but five loaves and two fish." And
he said, "Bring them here to me." Then he ordered the crowds to sit down on the
grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven, and blessed
and broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them
to the crowds. And all ate and were filled; and they took up what was left over
of the broken pieces, twelve baskets full. And those who ate were about five thousand
men, besides women and children.

______________

What does this story tell you about Jesus?

What does this story tell you about your calling and ministry?

What does this story tell you about what you need to respond to your calling and
 ministry?


_____________________________________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Mission of St. Paul's Episcopal Church
is to explore and celebrate
God's infinite grace, acceptance, and love.

Our Rule of Life:
  We aspire to...
     worship weekly
     pray daily
     learn constantly
     serve joyfully
     live generously.

Check our website: www.stpaulsfay.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home